Compliance , Legal Practice | LIVE webinar
Risk and Compliance Advanced Accreditation (Legal Practice) Exam Preparation Training (12-13 September 2022)
This intensive two-day course has been developed to support you in preparing for the examination for the Risk and Compliance Advanced Accreditation scheme in Legal Practice. It will focus on Fraud and Bribery and Risk Management on day one and Record Keeping, People Management and Client Communications on day two.
The Risk and Compliance Advanced Accreditation in Legal Practice is a quality standard for legal professionals managing risk and compliance in a legal practice or department. By holding the accreditation, you will demonstrate that you have risk and compliance technical skills. You will also be able to convey to stakeholders and prospective clients that you have:
- demonstrated your knowledge and skill; and
- attained an objective quality mark at a particular level of competence in these areas.
The Risk and Compliance Advanced Accreditation (Legal Practice) examination is targeted at those who have expertise in Legal Practice Management.
The course will be delivered over two days in a virtual classroom format by Laurence Howland, Director, Risk and Compliance of Buckles Solicitors LLP, who has overall responsibility for the firm’s anti-money laundering and regulatory compliance. It will run on 12-13 September 2022, from 9.30am to 5pm on both days.
Who this is for
Freelance solicitors, Practice managers, Small firms lawyers, Solicitors.
Required prior knowledge
This training is designed for those with experience of risk and compliance management and will cover a wide range of key risk areas in legal practice, including how these are mitigated and managed. The training is relevant for the following roles:
- directors of risk
- compliance officers for legal practice (COLPs)
- sole practitioners
- compliance officers for finance and administration (COFAs)
You will be expected to have an awareness and understanding of key risk and compliance requirements and a knowledge of policy and procedure arising from risk and compliance law. The course content and materials are designed to reinforce your knowledge and understanding to enable you to seek accreditation following the successful completion of the Risk and Compliance Advanced Accreditation examination in Legal Practice.
SRA competence: +1 more for SRA competence: A1, A2
By the end of this course, you will be able to:
- Explain your key regulatory responsibilities and the importance of a robust compliance culture, ethical conduct and a structured organisational response to risk
- Identify significant threats to a legal services business in respect of fraud, bribery and corruption, money laundering, terrorist financing, and sanctioned entities, including potential indicators and ‘red flags’ of financial crime
- Prepare a Firm Wide Risk Assessment (FWRA) and design policies, controls and procedures for effective practice management including communication, training and file reviews to encourage and support an appropriate compliance culture
- Formulate a strategy for the management of business, non-business and financial risk and business continuity
- Articulate the key elements of effective management of the client journey in the context of the SRA Principles and Codes of Conduct, including onboarding, ‘know your customer’ and due diligence checks, client and matter risk assessments, and the appropriate management of conflict and confidentiality issues.
What this will cover
Day 1 will focus on:
- Fraud and bribery
- Business risk management
- Risk management as top-down culture
Day 2 will focus on:
- Risk management as top-down culture (continued)
- Addressing risk within the client journey
- File reviews and file management
- Use of practice manuals and establishing audit trails
You can explore the specific coverage of syllabus topics within the full programme.
How you will learn
The course will be delivered through interactive teaching and learning in a virtual classroom-type format. You will take part in exercises, case studies and practice-based quizzes to enable you to embed your learning in preparation for the Risk and Compliance Advanced Accreditation examination in Legal Practice.
You will be provided with a copy of the PowerPoint presentations and a manual featuring the most up-to-date legislation applicable to the management of risk and compliance in Legal Practice. Additional resources will be signposted throughout the course to enable you to maximise additional self-guided learning.