Private client, Wills , | LIVE webinar
Private Client Law Refresher Course – Will Drafting
This live virtual classroom is scheduled on 22 November 2021, between 10:30-12:30.
Delivered by renowned expert in the field Professor Lesley King, this course will provide an update and refresher training in will drafting law and practice. It is suitable if you are considering returning to this area of law following a career break or currently work within private client law and wish to update your knowledge in certain areas.
This virtual classroom is one in a series of seven for individuals across all levels of PQE who are seeking to update their knowledge of private client law. The other sessions can be booked through this link. On-demand versions will be available after each event for those who cannot attend on the day or who wish to purchase after the event has taken place.
Who this is for
Required prior knowledge
Prior experience and knowledge of will drafting law and practice.
SRA competence: +2 more for SRA competence: A2, A4, A5
After this session you will be aware of the problems that can arise in relation to will drafting and the recent case law affecting this area and be able to:
- adapt your office practice and procedures appropriately,
- advise clients on the options available to them.
What this will cover
GOOD PRACTICE ON TAKING INSTRUCTIONS
- Where are we on the Golden Rule?
- What to do when uncertain of capacity
- Avoiding misunderstandings
PRECAUTIONS ON & AFTER EXECUTION
- If execution is at office
- If execution is away from office
- Post-execution precautions
- Use of precedents
- Difference between right of occupation and life interest
ISSUES FOR MARRIED COUPLES
- Absolute gifts
- Flexible life interest trust
- NRB discretionary trust
ISSUES FOR COHABITEES
- No spouse exemption
- Problems with RNRB
- Use of life interests and occupation rights
How you will learn
This training consists of the following elements:
- A live interactive online classroom presentation (with on-demand version available)
- Detailed session notes (pdf)
- Certificate of completion