Private client , | Recorded webinar
Private Client Law Update and Refresher Course – Trusts
This virtual classroom was delivered on 30 November 2021. The on-demand version is available for purchase now.
Delivered by renowned expert in the field Professor Lesley King, this course provides an update in probate law and practice. It is suitable if you are considering returning to this area of law following a career break or currently work within private client law and wish to update your knowledge in certain areas.
This event is one in a series of seven for individuals across all levels of PQE who are seeking to update their knowledge of private client law. The other sessions can be booked through this link.
Who this is for
Required prior knowledge
Prior experience and knowledge of trust law and practice.
SRA competence: +2 more for SRA competence: A2, A4, A5
After this session you will be aware of the recent changes affecting trusts and be able to:
- advise on the appropriate choice of trust
- draft trusts to include appropriate provisions
- advise trustees on appropriate use of powers.
What this will cover
THE TAXATION OF TRUSTS
- Qualifying interest in possession or relevant property trust?
- Overview of how each is taxed
CHANGES TO PILOT TRUSTS
- What are they and when were/are they useful?
- The changes introduced by Finance (No.2) Act 2015
USING FLEXIBLE LIFE INTEREST TRUSTS
- When are they useful?
- Provisions to include when drafting
- Points to check when using
- Early termination
USING NIL RATE BAND DISCRETIONARY TRUSTS
- Are they useful?
- Options on first death
- Simplifying income tax implications
USING TRUSTS FOR DISABLED BENEFICIARIES
- Discretionary trust or s89 trust
- Drafting and using s89 trusts
EXERCISING TRUSTEE POWERS CORRECTLY
- Dispositive powers: appointment, advancement and appropriation
- Which is appropriate?
- Appointment and retirement of trustees
- Self-dealing issues
How you will learn
This training consists of the following elements:
- A live interactive online classroom presentation (with on-demand version available)
- Detailed session notes (pdf)
- Certificate of completion