Administrative and public law , Careers | LIVE webinar
Practical Advice for Aspiring Solicitor Judges
The webinar will run on 23 June 2021 between 17:00-18:30, providing practical advice from sitting solicitor judges about approaching the judicial appointment process, demonstrating your competencies and required preparation ahead of applying for a judicial role.
Who this is for
City Lawyers, Solicitors.
Required prior knowledge
Solicitors are advised to review the following resources ahead of the webinar:
For information about the judicial application process and selection tools please visit the JAC webpage and specifically:
- Guidance on the application process
- Guidance on pre-application preparation
- You are also advised to look at the upcoming deputy district judge (DDJ) vacancy on the JAC website
SRA competence: +1 more for SRA competence: D1, D2
Throughout this 90-minute webinar, you will:
- gain insight about why become a deputy district judge/recorder and why become a salaried judge (full time), including what solicitors bring to the bench.
- obtain knowledge about the judicial selection process, the required competencies for judicial roles, required preparations, and practical advice.
- hear from three solicitor judges in various judicial roles who are familiar with the appointments process and would like to assist aspiring solicitor judges.
- have the opportunity to raise questions during the session, or email them in advance to: email@example.com
What this will cover
- Required preparation ahead of applying for a judicial role
- Common mistakes and how to avoid them
- Different paths into the judiciary
- How to demonstrate your skills and competencies in line with the JAC requirements;
- Transferable skills
How you will learn
Practical insights and advice will be shared along with signposting information to additional resources.
Webinar content followed by Q&A:
- 17:00 – 17:45 Session
- 17:45 – 18:20 Q&A
- 18:20 – 18:30 signposting information and close
Our speakers are all solicitor judges, sitting in a variety of judicial roles, and having practiced in different areas:
- HHJ Lynn Roberts – Senior Circuit Judge, Designated Family Judge at the Central London Family Court
- Judge Alexandra Marks – a Deputy High Court Judge, Recorder and First Tier Tribunal Judge; previously served as Judicial Appointments Commissioner (2012-2018)
- Julian Hussell – solicitor, managing director of Cameron Jones Hussell and Howe, deputy district judge