Personal development , Careers | Podcast
Law Society Education Podcast: Career vs Family?
Presenter Husnara Begum (former City lawyer-turned-career coach) is joined by guests Julian Taylor (senior partner at Simmons & Simmons and an employment law specialist), Isabelle Hung (a clinical psychologist) and Paula Sheridan (a coach specialising in working with female professionals) to discuss how to successfully balance a career as a solicitor with starting a family.
Transcript available here.
Who this is for
SRA competence: +2 more for SRA competence: A2, C1, C3
Learn the tried and tested strategies new parents can adopt to successfully find equilibrium between work and home life.
Topics covered include:
- Career or baby first? Is there an ideal PQE level to start a family?
- The importance of discussing options with your other half and getting them on side re shared parenting responsibilities.
- Maternity leave, paternity leave and parental leave – what are your rights?
- Career break or return to work? What are the pros and cons?
- Planning your return to work – practicalities to consider.
- Tips for discussing flexible work options with your employer.
What this will cover
It is widely acknowledged that combining a legal career with raising a young family can be extremely challenging with many solicitors often struggling to strike a balance between the competing demands placed on them. And for female solicitors, in particular, the timing of starting a family often conflicts with one of the most critical stages in their careers when they are on the cusp of being put on partner track.