Private Client Law Update and Refresher Course – Will Drafting
This virtual classroom was delivered on 22 November 2021.
After this session you will be aware of the problems that can arise in relation to will drafting and the recent case law affecting this area and be able to:
- adapt your office practice and procedures appropriately,
- advise clients on the options available to them.
What this will cover
GOOD PRACTICE ON TAKING INSTRUCTIONS
- Where are we on the Golden Rule?
- What to do when uncertain of capacity
- Avoiding misunderstandings
PRECAUTIONS ON & AFTER EXECUTION
- If execution is at office
- If execution is away from office
- Post-execution precautions
- Use of precedents
- Difference between right of occupation and life interest
ISSUES FOR MARRIED COUPLES
- Absolute gifts
- Flexible life interest trust
- NRB discretionary trust
ISSUES FOR COHABITEES
- No spouse exemption
- Problems with RNRB
- Use of life interests and occupation rights